xsl-list

Re: New Developer Survey Shows XQuery Adoption Skyrocketing

2005-03-30 02:55:46
Here is the methodology we used:

1. We emailed over 75,000 IT professionals, and also had the
   survey posted on our website.  We obtained email address from
   tradeshow lists, direct marketing lists, registered customers
   and our entire customer prospect list.  We did not as some
   have suggested ask just the XQuery SIG :).

2. 550 completed surveys were submitted.

3. Of the 550 people who submitted complete surveys, 477
   indicated that they currently use or plan to use XQuery this
   year.

4. This is a huge sample size...  to put things in perspective,
   last year, media news outlets were trying to determine the
   outcome of the US presidential election using smaller sample
   sizes.

So of the contacted 75000 people only 550 responded.

This is less than 1% response -- this seems a very bad result to me...

And not at all representative.

If people were really interested, would only less than 1% respond?

Can any conclusions  (except that the survey was far from successful)
be really drawn?

Finally, is there any value at all in such a survey?

Cheers,
Dimitre