xsl-list

RE: New Developer Survey Shows XQuery Adoption Skyrocketing

2005-03-29 10:54:42
but what about actual developer adoption of XQuery and should XSLT fans be
concerned?

Personally I use both technologies; they overlap, but developers with a
database background will be attracted to XQuery while XSLT is more document
based (at least it was; now there are efforts to bring them together like
you guys do at DataDirect, although you only use XQuery to process both, and
not XSLT if I understand correctly).

However, I don't think XSLT fans should be concerned at all - both
technologies will have their own areas where they best apply. XSLT 2.0 adds
amazing functionality solving problems where XSLT 1.0 failed to offer direct
solutions, but is not at all database related.

I personally am a database junkie and love using XQuery, but I use document
based XML processing when there's no need to use a database, and in that
case I use XSLT with success. I find it enormously useful when setting up
simple Intranets and solving configuration issues, reading and changing XML
documents, etc.

It may also be true that while XSLT has problems with huge documents, using
a database and XQuery could easily put aside those problems, but it comes
with a price. XQuery may have far more comercial impact than XSLT ever will
have, and therefore it's growing so fast I guess.

About the survey, I've applied for a copy and will read it with interest!
:-)

Cheers,
<prs/>