xsl-list

Re: Should XSLT be used to generate a plain text document?

2005-04-26 13:10:53
Hi, Chris,

Like Jim Neff, my experience with producing text has not been to produce
ASCII art but it has involved turning a complex hierarchal structure into
a flat file. (Jim's message caught my eye because I have a substantial EDI
background, though I am currently working on single-source document
production solutions instead.)

What you have in mind is definitely within XSLT's scope and not all that
hard to do.

Come back to us with your more specific questions when they arise, and I'm
sure you'll get substantial help with your project.

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services

Chris <phatfish(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
04/26/2005 02:26 PM
Please respond to
xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com

XSL List <xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com>
cc

Subject
[xsl] Should XSLT be used to generate a plain text document?

Hi, i would like to create some (i guess you would call it) styled, or
formatted plain text.

Eg, some information about a music album: (this probably wont display
correctly, but you get the idea)

|           Im So Good - Im The Best (2005)           |
|                                                     |
|  About:                                             |
|  +-----------------------------------------------+  |
|  | Text text text text text text text text text  |  |
|  | Text text text text text text text text text  |  |
|  | Text text text text text text text text text  |  |
|  | Text text text text text text text text text  |  |
|  | Text text text text text text text text text  |  |
|  | Text text text text text text text text text  |  |
|  | Text text more text displayed by a loop.      |  |
|  +-----------------------------------------------+  |
|                                                     |
|  Tracklist:                                         |
|  +----+----------------------------------+-------+  |
|  | #  | Artist/Title                     | 00:00 |  |
|  +----+----------------------------------+-------+  |
|  | 01 | Im So Good - The First Track     | 05:22 |  |
|  +----+----------------------------------+-------+  |
|  | 02 | Im So Good - The 2nd Track       | 05:36 |  |
|  +----+----------------------------------+-------+  |
|  | 03 | Im So Good - Track Three         | 07:24 |  |
|  +----+----------------------------------+-------+  |
|  | 04 | Im So Good - Four is my Fav      | 04:55 |  |
|  +----+----------------------------------+-------+  |
|  | 05 | Im So Good - Truncation may hap..| 04:18 |  |
|  +----+----------------------------------+-------+  |
|  | 06 | Im So Good - Last is Best        | 03:12 |  |

I would like to know if it is possible to use XSLT to create a
document, like the above example, from an XML file.

I'm still new to XSL/T so i'm not really sure of its limitations, or
even if this is something i should be attempting with with it.

When i think about it transforming to plain text doesn't sound right,
but some expert opinions would be good :)

Thanks

--~--