xsl-list

RE: Should XSLT be used to generate a plain text document?

2005-04-26 12:46:26
Yes, there's no reason why you shouldn't use XSLT to produce this kind of
output - though it's obviously a lot more work than producing HTML.

I'd suggest a two-phase approach: first generate an XML document that
contains a logical representation of your output (as boxes, lines, etc), and
then a rendition phase to turn this into ASCII art. If you do it that way,
you'll be able to make changes to both modules independently of each other.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris [mailto:phatfish(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com]
Sent: 26 April 2005 20:27
To: XSL List
Subject: [xsl] Should XSLT be used to generate a plain text document?

Hi, i would like to create some (i guess you would call it) styled, or
formatted plain text.

Eg, some information about a music album: (this probably wont display
correctly, but you get the idea)

|           Im So Good - Im The Best (2005)           |
|                                                     |
|  About:                                             |
|  +-----------------------------------------------+  |
|  | Text text text text text text text text text  |  |
|  | Text text text text text text text text text  |  |
|  | Text text text text text text text text text  |  |
|  | Text text text text text text text text text  |  |
|  | Text text text text text text text text text  |  |
|  | Text text text text text text text text text  |  |
|  | Text text more text displayed by a loop.      |  |
|  +-----------------------------------------------+  |
|                                                     |
|  Tracklist:                                         |
|  +----+----------------------------------+-------+  |
|  | #  | Artist/Title                     | 00:00 |  |
|  +----+----------------------------------+-------+  |
|  | 01 | Im So Good - The First Track     | 05:22 |  |
|  +----+----------------------------------+-------+  |
|  | 02 | Im So Good - The 2nd Track       | 05:36 |  |
|  +----+----------------------------------+-------+  |
|  | 03 | Im So Good - Track Three         | 07:24 |  |
|  +----+----------------------------------+-------+  |
|  | 04 | Im So Good - Four is my Fav      | 04:55 |  |
|  +----+----------------------------------+-------+  |
|  | 05 | Im So Good - Truncation may hap..| 04:18 |  |
|  +----+----------------------------------+-------+  |
|  | 06 | Im So Good - Last is Best        | 03:12 |  |

I would like to know if it is possible to use XSLT to create a
document, like the above example, from an XML file.

I'm still new to XSL/T so i'm not really sure of its limitations, or
even if this is something i should be attempting with with it.

When i think about it transforming to plain text doesn't sound right,
but some expert opinions would be good :)

Thanks

--~--