xsl-list

RE: Unusual Sort

2005-04-13 11:41:20
Wow... It really wasn't this important.  I will attempt the one guys actual
related response.  Thanks to everyone who attempted a response and to
everyone else for the flames.. It's like a yahoo chat room without the porn
bots.  :)

Thanks,

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Aron Bock [mailto:aronbock(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 2:13 PM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [xsl] Unusual Sort

David, *I* didn't ask the question, but nice, especially because the XSL is
simply a concretization of a way of approaching a problem.

I'm reminded of a problem presented to Ken Thompson (the UNIX guy): find
which words in a list are anagrams of one another.  His solution was
beautifully elegant, especially for its simplicity.  It consisted of the
following:

--for each word, generate a "key"--which is simply a word consisting of the
original word's characters sorted.  Eg. for word "apple", the key is "aelpp"
--sort list based on key --extract groups of keys; their corresponding words
are anagrams of one
another

And this is succintly expressed as an UNIX pipeline.

Anyway, your <xsl:sort select="translate('FSJ','ABC',grade)"/> gives me a
similar feeling!

:-)

--A