xsl-list

RE: testing for string and number in XSLT 2.0 was Re: [xsl] Test For Numeric Values?

2005-04-08 06:17:59
Until now I was under the impression that the "instance of" operator
is usable only if the value has been type-annotated as result of
validation against a specific xml schema (as described on page 287 of
the XPath 2.0 book), (which may not be the case with a significant
part of all transformations written and used in the real world).

Is my understanding of the applicability of the "instance of"
operator wrong ?

It's incomplete... For atomic values, you can simply do things like

123 instance of xs:boolean  => false
"123" instance of xs:string => true

Also for nodes, you can do

$node instance of comment()