xsl-list

Re: testing for string and number in XSLT 2.0 was Re: [xsl] Test For Numeric Values?

2005-04-08 05:24:12
On Apr 8, 2005 9:55 PM, Michael Kay <mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com> wrote:

What will really be useful is a function with an argument of item(),
that returns the real type of the argument.

This would be trivial to achieve if same-arity function
overloading was allowed.

Does anybody know of another way?

You can write

<xsl:choose>
<xsl:when test="$arg instanceof xs:boolean">boolean</xsl:when>
<xsl:when test="$arg instanceof xs:string">string</xsl:when>
etc.

Until now I was under the impression that the "instance of" operator
is usable only if the value has been type-annotated as result of
validation against a specific xml schema (as described on page 287 of
the XPath 2.0 book), (which may not be the case with a significant
part of all transformations written and used in the real world).

Is my understanding of the applicability of the "instance of" operator wrong ?

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev