xsl-list

Re: Test For Numeric Values?

2005-04-08 01:34:13
Michael Kay wrote:

i know its late in the day re XSLT / XPATH 2.0 drafts,

but doesnt this scenario sort of 'scream out' for a boolean function
that tests for type, both basic (node, string, number) and schema ?

There is such a construct: e.g. ($x instance of xs:decimal)

what does this mean in a basic conforming XSLT processor (of which none
exists yet...) we can test for element() but what about string() or
number()....

But in this case, I interpreted the requirement as being not to test whether
the attribute had a numeric type (ie. was defined as a number in the
schema), but whether its value had the lexical form of a number.

yes agreed there are nuances here

The XPath
2.0 construct for this is ($x castable as xs:decimal).

I think the idea of a simple isnumber(), iselement(), isstring() for
basic processor and for schema aware a istype(xs:decimal,$x) is more of
what I am talking about..which of course I can write using xsl:function.

thx, Jim

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

--~--