xsl-list

RE: minor grouping issue

2005-05-07 15:59:05
The count attribute must be an XSLT pattern, $footnote is not a pattern.

You'll get another error here, which is that there is no context node inside
a function. You need to add

select="$footnote"

to indicate which node you want to be numbered.

The count attribute indicates which nodes should be counted. For example, if
you want to number figures and equations in the same numbering sequence, you
write count="figure|equation". By default, you count nodes of the same name
as the one you are numbering, so you can probably just omit this attribute.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce D'Arcus [mailto:bdarcus(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com]
Sent: 07 May 2005 23:47
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [xsl] minor grouping issue

On May 7, 2005, at 10:58 AM, Michael Kay wrote:

It's probably simplest to put the xsl:number within an xsl:choose to
distinguish the two cases.

Since the same number gets used in two places (footnote mark in text
mode, and footnote-list mode), I thought I'd create a function.  So I
have:

   <xsl:function name="db:number-footnote" as="xs:string">
     <xsl:param name="footnote" as="element(db:footnote)"/>
     <xsl:choose>
       <xsl:when test="$chapters/db:chapter">
         <xsl:number level="any" count="$footnote" from="db:chapter"/>
       </xsl:when>
       <xsl:otherwise>
         <xsl:number level="any" count="$footnote"/>
       </xsl:otherwise>
     </xsl:choose>
   </xsl:function>

   <xsl:template match="db:footnote" mode="footnote-list">
     <xsl:variable name="footnote-number"
select="db:number-footnote(.)"/>
         <xsl:value-of select="$footnote-number"/>
       </a>
       <xsl:text>. &#xa0;</xsl:text>
       <xsl:apply-templates/>
   </xsl:template>

However, I'm getting this error:

F XPath syntax error at char 0 in {$footnote}:
     Unexpected token in pattern, found "$"

Why?  And how can I fix it?

Bruce

--~--