xsl-list

RE: Whitespace problem, always returning identity

2005-06-22 14:59:16
It sounds like a bug. <xsl:strip-space elements="*"> should strip all
elements regardless whether they are in a namespace.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Schulz [mailto:schulz(_at_)sce(_dot_)carleton(_dot_)ca]
Sent: 22 June 2005 20:14
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [xsl] Whitespace problem, always returning identity

Hi,

answering myself after some testing. I am not sure, if this
is the final
cause, but might be of interest to others using the J5
SAXParser for XSLT:

When the parser is set to being aware of namespaces and a no
namespace
definition is given by xmlns="http://some.na.me/space";, at least
xsl:strip-space does not seem to work anymore (didn't check for other
tags). Qualifying the namespace definition makes it work
again. I am not
sure, if this is a desired behavior or a bug.

If anyone had a similar problem and solved it (other than using
qualification) I'd be glad to know.

Cheers,
Stefan

Stefan Schulz wrote:
Hi,

maybe a rookie problem again. I apply the following XSL to any XML
document to omit all whitespaces from non-content data. But
the result
still has all the whitespaces as in the source.

<?xml version='1.0' ?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
  <xsl:output method="xml" indent="no"/>
  <xsl:strip-space elements="*"/>
  <xsl:template match="@*|node()">
    <xsl:copy>
    </xsl:copy>
  </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

Example XML (output is identical):
<myroot>
  <innernode/>
</myroot>

Expected Output:

Maybe I am missing something, and (to make it worse) I am
sure it worked
once before the way I wanted it to.

Thanks in advance,
Stefan