xsl-list

RE: Saxon for windows?

2005-06-06 07:03:38
The answer to this is simple: using cache, like the example SaxonServlet
shows us. I haven't doen any testing in this area though, but I'm planning
to in the near future.

Using cache has helped me a lot to increase application performance in .NET
also. I also have used it successfully with MSXML (at application level,
although creating the processor object was only possible at page level -
talking web apps here). In .NET, caching rocks, because you can make the
stylesheet file change dependant: if it changes (a skin change, for
example), ASP.NET removes the cached sylesheet, and replaces it by a new
cached copy.

Thanx all for your two cents and interesting comments. If anyone knows of
making the app performance even better, then please do let me know! :-)

Cheers,
Pieter

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Kay [mailto:mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com]
Sent: Saturday, June 04, 2005 1:55 PM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [xsl] Saxon for windows?

HTTP requests work but performance would be hurt.

It's actually quite simple. I'm using a process class which allows me
to capture StdOut and StdErr, and that runs a process in the
background. The background process can be anything that runs via a
command line,

I thought about this a little more.

For a single one-off request, spawning a process and running the processor
from the command line is probably quite viable. For any kind of production
service, where the same stylesheet is going to be executed repeatedly, or
where many different transformations are going to be run, a server
architecture in which the server can reuse resources when handling multiple
requests is going to be far better. And a server architecture based on HTTP
is probably as good as any other. So your statement "performance would be
hurt" is neither right nor wrong: it's just assuming a very particular kind
of workload.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/