xsl-list

Re: Increment a variable

2005-08-18 11:55:56
Dimitre,

At 04:22 AM 8/18/2005, you wrote:
>       No. I definitely had no idea of making a joke. This is based on some
> code that DC wrote for me and other on this list  and a lengthy discussion
> that was started by James Fuller on using the namespace URI as a real
> location of some resource.

I know the idea, which is called the Piez method.

*Some* of us call it the "Piez method"... :->

Others of us call it "the ugly hack once suggested by Wendell as a workaround to avoid having to code a recursion, as if that were so hard". (But as the European Editor of the TEI once said in another forum, there are those who love recursion, and those who find it terrifying.)

Oh well: that's the risk you run when you suggest tricky ways of accomplishing things, I guess. It'll serve me right if in another five years, people who learned the "Piez method" in school are still using it in their XSLT 2.0, where there's no excuse for it at all. I'll probably be the one that has to fix their code.

So then, Mike writes

This is "trick programming", some would say it's a dirty trick, and it's a
matter of personal taste whether you use it.

... and I hasten to add "some, including some (one) who thought of it".

Cheers,
Wendell

Wendell Piez