xsl-list

RE: Best default value for a result tree fragment?

2005-09-28 05:07:04
What do people think is the "best" way of specifying the
default value for
the parameters:

<xsl:param name="contentRTF"></xsl:param>

which gives a RTF containing nothing

No: if there is no content and no select attribute, the value is a
zero-length string. You can get an RTF consisting of a document node with no
children by writing, for example

<xsl:param name="contentRTF"><xsl:fallback/></xsl:param>

<xsl:param name="contentRTF" select="" />

which gives an empty nodeset (or something),

No, that's an error: the select attribute must be an XPath expression, and
this isn't

or even

<xsl:param name="contentRTF select="''" />

which gives an empty string.

I appreciate that, for all practical purposes, I should get the same
output from all of them, but was wondering which might be seen as the
canonical way of doing it, given that any *passed* value will
always be a
result tree fragment. Must have my strong-typing head on today :-)

I agree that logically, a document node with no children makes the most
sense. In 2.0, the cleanest way of constructing this is

<xsl:param name="x" as="document-node()">
  <xsl:document/>
</xsl:param>

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/