xsl-list

RE: Opinions, please. Keep entire archive or toss old?

2005-10-12 15:08:52
Practically every post I've ever made anywhere online eventually
embarrasses me. So do pictures of me as a baby, but that doesn't mean
they have no value.

I don't have time to keep up with the list on a daily (or even monthly)
basis, and its primary value to me will always be the archives, which is
how I found the list in the first place. If I occasionally stumble
across myself asking really stupid questions, it's just a good reminder
of how far I've come (and how much farther I still have to go).

I look forward to someday wincing as I see this very message come up in
a Google search. Not that I'd ever be so vain as to Google my own
name...

-- Brook

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:xsl-list-owner(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 12:31 PM
To: xsl-list
Subject: [xsl] Opinions, please. Keep entire archive or toss old?

Friends --

I have recently received two apparently unrelated requests to remove
the first several years of the XSL-List archive from the server.

Both were from people who seemed to be embarrassed that they had
asked beginner questions and wanted to be known for their more
advanced contributions. One also implied that since the practice of
XSL has changed over the years the older postings are misleading.

My personal inclination is to reject the requests, and the premise
behind them. We all start every new technology as beginners, and
those of us who know many things were beginners many times. That's not
something to be embarrassed about, in my opinion. I also do not see
that the practice of XSL has really matured that dramatically; people
are still asking many of the questions we were discussing in 1998.

But before making such a decision, I thought I'd ask the list for
your opinions. (I would be willing to lop off the first few years
if we really don't want them; I am not willing to edit the archive
in any more manual or judgement-based way. I will not, for example,
remove postings by people who don't want their names in the archive.)

So, what do you think?

-- Tommie
B. Tommie Usdin
mailto:btusdin(_at_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com