xsl-list

RE: Static type-checker

2005-11-18 07:43:55
Michael Kay wrote:

  [ in addition to my previous reply, that
    I sent to quickly, sorry ]

Saxon will infer a type for the variable from
the select expression if it can do so without
contextual analysis, but it won't go chasing
around the houses to do it.

  Indeed.  But I think this case is intresting because it's simple and,
IMHO, entirely determinitic.  We have (in the variable's '@select') an
XPath expression like "$other/child/subchild", whose we know the type
of the variable "$other" (with its '@as'), and all the possible
children of "$other" are well known, as well as their types.

  I think it could be not so difficult to infer the type of the new
variable.  But I don't know enough all the aspects of the problem.  Is
there some complexity I don't see?  (I'm just curious)

  Thanks,

--drkm