xsl-list

Re: XPath expression confusion

2006-01-13 08:17:37
  Sorry. I actually meant the outmost root element. I was thinking the "/"
  represent the document node. So if the <system> is not the root element,
  the absolute path starts with "/" would return an empty sequence.

note you are using xpath2 terminology for what is (I think) an xpath1
question. Xpath1 does not have "document nodes" it has "root nodes"
and it doesn't have sequences it has node sets. Neither Xpath1 nor xpath2
calls the top level element a "root element", some other specifications,
including XML spec itself do so, but the Xpath/xquery/xslt specifications
wisely avoid doing that as it leads to confusion. Especially with the
XPath1 terminology of "root node".

Xpath2 is trying to reduce the confusing nature of this by calling what
used to be called root nodes, document nodes, but like any renaming
attempt, it has yet to be seen whether renaming to a new "clearer" name,
actually reduces confusion or just adds another variation into the mix
for users to be confused over.

David