xsl-list

RE: Is letting the browser transform XML to XHTML using XSLT a good choice?

2006-03-05 10:39:28
Hello Manfred,

Manfred said:
I'm stunned that most of you seem to believe that Google ignores XML pages
and you have to transform the XML server-side to feed the search engine.
For evidence of the contrary try the search:
staudinger site:free.pages.at filetype:xml

Didier replies:
Thanks Manfred, this is a clear evidence that google process xml documents.
Have you any other clues that google associate these xml documents to
keywords or keyphrases? This would help us to discover some truth in this
world full of myths and preconceived ideas.

I have also another question: Do some of you uses parameter passing to
inject a particular context to XSLT templates?

Because all of our processing occurs at the client side, we massively use
parameter passing to XSLT stylesheets either through a URL, through <frame>
<iframe> elements or through ECMAcript function call. We found this
parameter passing mechanism tremendously useful. I wonder if others doing
server side transforms are using also parameter passing to inject a
particular context. If yes what do they use. We probably can learn a bit
more about other ways to do things and expand our horizons.

Other thing I would like to know. We use XML encoding and XSLT processing to
create model driven applications. We found XSLT an excellent language to
perform model to model transformation. Does anybody else is doing some work
on model driven applications using XSLT as a model to model transformation
language? Are the model more sophisticated than just labeled data or does it
also include frame based (like RDF) or object based (like OO) encapsulated
data?

Cheers
Didier PH Martin