xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XPointers to the start and the end of an element (not its content)?

2006-06-09 03:51:05
On Friday 09 June 2006 05:58, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
"Tom" == bitte um hilfe
<bitte(_dot_)um(_dot_)hilfe(_at_)habmalnefrage(_dot_)de> writes:

    Tom> E.g. how could I set an XPointer exactly in front of the
    Tom> second <a> element (marked with * in the source code) or
    Tom> exactly behind an element like the 4th </a> (marked with **).

    Tom> Is this doable at all?

It depends on the processor. But I am not sure what you mean by
exactly behind or exactly in front of.

You don't set XPointers - you use XPointers to refer to a fragment of
a document in the URI you pass to the document() function.

    Tom> Because in my opinion XSL is made to
    Tom> navigate trough a given XML structure with the aim to access
    Tom> embedded content and thatâ??s the reason why it
    Tom> probably is not possible to access elements themselves (they
    Tom> are structure rather than contentâ?¦).

No, you can access elements via any XPath expression.

    Tom> At the moment the marking is done as follows: ? is the
    Tom> paraphrase for * and the same holds for ?? which is the
    Tom> paraphrase for ** This is doable, because Content within an
    Tom> Element is accessible for sure - by using the text() as well
    Tom> as the position() functions navigating is easy.

    Tom> Does someone have a clue if it could work somehow?

It depends upon which XSLT 2.0 processor you are using. As far as I
know, there are none that support the XPointer scheme (which is not a
W3C recommendation - only the element and xmlns schemes made the
recommendation).

I think Mozilla implements it incompletely, and I've somewhere seen a
proprietary implementation listed as implementing it. Right, not exactly
mainstream..

Gestalt has a gexslt:xpath2 scheme, so you could use that to select
the nodes you want.

You should perhaps consider changing that to the W3C-registered scheme:

http://www.w3.org/2005/04/xpointer-schemes/

Cheers,

                Frans