xsl-list

RE: [xsl] amp symbols

2006-07-03 16:15:10
It's interesting to read the following in James Clark's reply:

<quote>
Maybe a result-dtd-system-id and result-dtd-public-id attributes on
xsl:stylesheet would be a potential solution.  An XSL engine could
output the appropriate DOCTYPE declaration, but could also read the DTD
so as to find an appropriate entity corresponding to a particular
Unicode code point.
</quote>

Well, we got the doctype-system and doctype-public added to xsl:output, but
the idea of a processor reading the DTD to extract the entity definitions
was never pursued.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: David Carlisle [mailto:davidc(_at_)nag(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk]
Sent: 04 July 2006 00:01
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [xsl] amp symbols

? Also, the one issue
that I am running into is the fact that if I try to put an entity
symbol into the file such as &test; when I process the file, it
converts it to &amp;test;.

Your input must have also been &amp;test; (or
<![CDATA[&test;]]> wich is the same thing, as otherwise you'd
have an undefined entity error in the stylesheet.

If your processor supports d-o-e then
<xsl:text disable-output-escaping="yes">&amp;test;</xsl:text>
will produce what you want, but a system is allowed to
silently ignore d-o-e and then gove you &amp;test; so perhaps
that is what you are seeing. (Which processor are you using?)

It's like it won't allow me to use the & symbol even when
using it in
the name of the entity.

An XSL file has to be well formed XML so that means that
either & has to be used as the start of a character or entity
reference, or it has to be quoted or equivalently in a CDATA
section. If it's used as an entity reference delimiter then
teh entity must be defined in the stylesheet, but XSLT will
not see the entity, it will be resolved by the XML parser
before XSLT starts. If you use a quted amp then that is what
you get in the result unless you turn off the escaping in teh
result tree with the d-o-e attribute.

If it makes you feel any better, you're not the first person
to go through this loop. Including, er, "at least one" of the
people responding in the current thread...

First hit that I get for
http://www.google.com/search?q=xsl-list+carlisle+mathml+++CDATA+entity
may look vaguely familiar...

http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/199901/msg00032.html