xsl-list

RE: [xsl] xslt 1.1 xsl:document

2006-11-07 07:14:17
The xsl:document instruction in Saxon 6.5.x was really more a renaming of
the previous saxon:output extension than a true implementation of what was
in the working draft of XSLT 1.1 (which never reached a stable enough state
to be implementable).

Unfortunately there's no explicit value for doctype-system or doctype-public
that says "none", which means that if you've specified a value at one level,
you can override it another level with another explicit value, but you can't
cancel it. (The problem still exists to some extent with xsl:result-document
in 2.0, but the inheritance structure in 2.0 is more flexible than that in
saxon:output.)

The only suggestion I can make is either (a) output the .ssi file at the top
level of the transformation, or (b) run a second transformation on it to get
rid of the unwanted doctype. Or of course (c) move forward to a more stable
version of the technology.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: tom tom [mailto:tomxsllist(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com]
Sent: 07 November 2006 12:41
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] xslt 1.1 xsl:document

I am using XSLT 1.1. I am attempting to use the xsl:document
function to generate an html '.ssi' file to be included in
other pages.

I am unable to prevent this file from outputting a doctype
declaration. It seems to be inheriting it from a parent
xsl:document element - ie the xsl:document element exists
inside of another xsl:document element which needs to output
a doctype. When it does not sit inside of another
xsl:document element there are no problems with the doctype.

I am using saxon 6.5 and its a legacy system so can't be upgraded.

Does anyone recognise anything I have described and do you
know of a way to prevent the DOCTYPE declaration from displaying?

--~--