xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Backtracking and eternal loops caused by regular expressions matching: what to expect from implementations?

2007-01-23 08:31:10
David Carlisle wrote:
I am under the impression that such behavior is not desirable, but I am unsure if there is anything in the specs that says something about how implementations should/must deal with this.

[ERR XTDE1150] It is a non-recoverable dynamic error if the effective
value of the regex attribute is a regular expression that matches a
zero-length string:

I know that, but this is about a zero-length matching subexpression. See the expression: "(.*)*". However, XSLT already gets into trouble (well, Saxon does) with: "(.+)*". This is not even zero-length-matching in the substring. Is this wrong behavior?

Note: the above expression *include* the quotes.

-- Abel