xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Backtracking and eternal loops caused by regular expressions matching: what to expect from implementations?

2007-01-23 16:32:54
I am under the impression that such behavior is not
desirable, but I am unsure if there is anything in the specs
that says something about how implementations should/must
deal with this. As a comparison, I tried the example with
Perl, which gave no noticeable performance troubles.

(a) Poor performance is never desirable, though sometimes it's unavoidable
given the specification of the language you are using.

(b) The specs have nothing to say about performance.

(c) Saxon relies entirely on the regex engines in the underlying platform
(Java or .NET). I dare say there are cases where one regex engine will find
an optimization that another one misses.

(d) I was under the impression that regular expression evaluation will
always terminate, though of course it's possible to construct cases where
that might require extreme patience to observe.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/