xsl-list

RE: [xsl] XSLT 2.0 has arrived

2007-01-24 04:24:12
Hi all,

This might help to ease the pain a little:

Maybe you wanna try lauch4j from sourceforge. With launch4j you can
create a wrapper for saxon8.jar in 5 minutes (I just did. Looked it up
after reading the discussion started by Eliotte Harold).
I created a windows wrapper saxon8.exe in the directory where saxon8.jar
is located.

For me calling saxon is as simple as:

        C:\somedir> c:\java\apps\saxon\saxon8.exe <inputfile>
<stylesheet>

You can always add the saxon8 directory to your path.

For supported platforms have a look at http://launch4j.sourceforge.net/
(near the bottom of the page, just above the 'License' section).

Cheers,
Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Abel Braaksma [mailto:abel(_dot_)online(_at_)xs4all(_dot_)nl]
Sent: woensdag 24 januari 2007 10:23
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT 2.0 has arrived

Elliotte Harold wrote:

In reality, it's usually something like

$ java -jar saxon8.jar source.xml style.xsl Unable to
access jarfile
saxon8.jar $ java -jar /User/elharo/lib/saxon8.jar source.xml
style.xsl Unable to access jarfile saxon8.jar $ java -jar
/Users/elharo/lib/saxon8.jar source.xml style.xsl ...

Of course, you could put saxon8.jar into your jre/lib/ext
directory,
but which one? There are usually several. You can also pretty much
guarantee that after you do that, you're going to break some other
program that conflicts with saxon.

Can I eventually make this work? Yes?
Is it a pain in the ass? Yes.
Should I have to deal with this? No.
Is this far more complex than a traditonal Windows or Unix
executable?
You better believe it.

In reality, in Windows, it is more something like:

1. For a windows executable it must be in the path to be
executed, for a jar file it must be in the ext dir 2. If a
windows executable is not in the path, you must know the path
to call it, idem dito for the jar 3. If you don't know the
path to the windows executable, it says "Windows cannot find
'xsltproc'. Make sure you type the name correctly, and then
try again."
4. To search for it is equally hard as to search for a jar
file (Start >
Search)
5. To make life easier, add xsltproc path to the Path
environment variable. Very few user know how to do this. And
which one? Current user? Default User? All Users? It is quite
hard and requires fifteen (!)
steps: 1) Start 2) Settings 3) Control Panel 4) System 5)
(tab) Advanced
6) (button) Environment Variables 7) System Variables (or User
Variables???) 8) Find 'Path' and click it, then click Edit 9)
Try to figure out the syntax and add the path 10) Click OK
11) Click OK 12) Click OK 13) Close any currently open
command windows 14) Open a command window 15) test your
setting by typing 'xsltproc' (if you did it wrong, go over it
again: 15 steps!) (different windows also require partially
different steps, and try Winkey+Break for skipping 1-4) 6. etc.

Can I eventually make this work? If you're not a beginner
Windows user: yes Is it a pain in the ass? You betcha Should
I have to deal with this? That's up to each one him/herself
Is this far more complex than a traditional Java jar file?
You better believe it ;-)

Well, I grew up with Windows 3.0, MS DOS before that etc, so
I am lucky to understand why it is so and how to change these
settings. But many aren't. I am not saying that things in
Java world are easy, but I consider it far from reality to
say things are easy in Windows (or Unix) environments.
Neither are, and it could be so much easier. For instance,
the way Perl deals with CPAN almost automatically, the way
you can point and click new plugins, skins etc for Firefox:
that is easy. Java, .NET and Windows still have a long way to go.

This looks like a traditional "my fav env against your fav env"
discussion. I'd rather look at it pragmatically: we are all
professionals (well, most of us are) and we will have to deal
with this, sometimes across platforms, programming
environments and networks.
However, it is our task to make it easier for our users,
which we should. A user (at least ours) will never have to
deal with "where do I place the saxon8.jar file or how do I
set the path to the new version of xsltproc", as we do that for them.

-- Abel

--~--