xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XSLT 2.0 has arrived

2007-01-23 11:14:05
On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 08:55:22 -0700, Antony Quinn
<aquinn(_at_)ebi(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk> wrote:

Interesting point. Does anyone know if and when the major browsers will support XSLT 2.0?

There is very little incentive to provide an XSLT 2.0 engine inside of the browser environments. That said, there *IS* incentive to provide at least some EXSLT support.

While they are *still* missing the document function, Opera does provide support for exsl:node-set(),

I believe that with proper encouragement, the folks at Mozilla (some of whom have already shown interest) would be interested in providing support as well.

It already exists in IE in the form of msxsl:node-set() (and before anybody crys "why does MSFT have to always do their own thing?" the answer is that the support for msxsl:node-set() was there before the EXSLT specification was in a state that could reliably be implemented.), and they have already shown signs of providing at least some native support for EXSLT inside System.Xml.Xsl.

So once again, with proper encouragement, I believe we are MUCH more likely to find friendly responses for requests for EXSLT (at very least for things like exsl:node-set(), though the regex support would be great, as would a lot of the others -- but aiming for the stars may not be the best approach, in my own opinion.) from the major browser vendors, and in fact, I believe that making a concentrated effort to encourage just that would be a very smart decision on the part of the community to band together and push forward with.

Just my own opininon, of course, but I can assure you it comes from more than a "wouldn't it be nice if" standpoint, and instead and informed understanding of the current state of affairs in regards to finding extended browser-based support from any of the browser vendors for any version or extension to the XSLT family of standards.

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson
http://mdavid.name | http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2354