xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Misunderstanding named initial template and precedence rules?

2007-02-28 10:11:18
David Carlisle wrote:
I think the template with highest import precedence should be used.

If you add

    <xsl:template name="x">
      <xsl:call-template name="main"/>
    </xsl:template>

to importing.xsl and  start saxon with -it x then it does output
<high-precedence/>
as you'd expect.

Well, the idea was: some general catch-all stylesheet that is called by our server everytime some conversion must be done. It creates the necessary data structures etc. But sometimes, you need to override this behavior (and still need the rest of this generic template) and the way to do so (I thought) is by specifying a named template earlier in the chain (i.e., in the initial stylesheet).

I have yet to think of a workaround, as too many templates need this original template: I can't simply change the names, the named initial template is cast in stone on the server (so your solution can't easily be used) and I can't either do something like: "if named template 'main' is in the initial stylesheet then call 'main'" etc..... :S Hmm, I tried with Saxon 8.8.0.2, I will update to a newer version and check if this behavior is still there.

-- Abel