xsl-list

RE: [xsl] flatened hiearchies for xslt2

2007-03-08 10:02:45
I tend to think of for-each group as a sane syntax
added at xslt2 for the muenchian grouping idiom that Dimitre
showed, which works well, but only looks normal as its posted
once a week for over half a decade to this list:-). No idea
if the internal implementations are similar though but that's
processor specific detail...

for-each-group is much more generalized than the Muenchian method because
the population of nodes to be grouped can be anything, it's not necessarily
all the nodes in one document that match some pattern. That makes it
difficult to use fixed document-level indexes except in special cases.

I wouldnt expect to see much difference in performance (speed or memory) but
I'd me interested in any measurements.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/