xsl-list

Re: [xsl] What's your visual metaphor for XSL Transformations?

2007-03-19 00:45:28
At 2007-03-19 13:06 +1100, John Horner wrote:
This may be a weird question, but what do you see in your mind's eye
when you imagine an XSL transformation happening?

I've asked various people this and got some interesting answers.

Of course, you may not have a "visual" of the process, which is fine.
But I'm a visually-oriented person and having that kind of
representation of what's going on helps me think through problems.

The drawing I present to my XSLT students is shown on page 21 of the freely downloadable excerpt of our XSLT PDF book twelfth edition "Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath" ISBN 978-1-894049-14-6. It illustrates "result tree construction from scratch in result parse order in one pass". When I annotate this in front of class I usually add a down-arrow on the right side indicating the passage of time. Other annotations I make are to highlight the association between source tree nodes and result templates as being template rules. I find this diagram an effective teaching tool.

Follow the "Books & free excerpts" link from our home page to download excerpts of all three of our electronic books. This diagram was introduced into the material after the ninth edition that went to paper press as "Definitive XSLT and XPath" ISBN 0-13-065196-6, so you will not see the diagram in that book.

I hope this helps.

G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman(_at_)CraneSoftwrights(_dot_)com
Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc