xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Proposed syntax for namespace binding in XPath

2007-04-04 07:33:08
That though doesn't bind prefixes, it just does away with the
need for prefixes altogether, so instead of

(:# xmlns:p=http://other/uri #:) /p:foo/p:bar[2]

you'd write

/{http://other/uri}foo/{http://other/uri}bar[2]

which is workable, but a bit long winded, especially in
attribute value templates, where { already has another
meaning, and so would need to be quoted.

I have considered this approach, which might be useful for handling
software-generated path expressions; but I think that use case is a lot less
common than XPath expressions written by humans using a text editor in some
kind of data file (or online form) where there's no obvious way to specify a
namespace context.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/