xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Proposed syntax for namespace binding in XPath

2007-04-04 09:10:37
That's all detail to be worked out.

It turns out that using comments has the same disadvantages as they had with
the original XQuery pragma syntax: they're handled in the tokenizer which
has no knowledge of the syntactic context. So I may look at using a
different delimiter after all. But I was thinking of recognizing this syntax
only if it occurs right at the start of the expression.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: David Carlisle [mailto:davidc(_at_)nag(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk]
Sent: 04 April 2007 16:01
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [xsl] Proposed syntax for namespace binding in XPath

how would you detect the special comment?

eg, could you have a comment first?

(:hello world:)(:# xmlns:p=http://other/uri #:) /p:foo/p:bar[2]

and is this an error or just a normal comment (with therefore
no binding for the default xpath namespace).

(:# xmlns==http://other/uri #:) /foo/bar[2]
         ^

would the bindings have to be at the top? (cf xquery prolog)
or could you give them a local scope.

/(:# xmlns:p=http://other/uri #:) p:foo/(:#
xmlns:p=http://yetother/uri #:)p:bar[2]

(just musing in public, I don't imply that these are
necessarily problems just that there are several possible
answers well, two in each case, yes or no...)

David

--~--