xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Proposed syntax for namespace binding in XPath

2007-04-04 23:39:30
From: "Michael Kay" <mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com>

An adaptation that eliminates these disadvantages would be:

saxon:namespaces("xmlns=abc.uri xmlns:p=pqr.uri"), EXPR

(I think that E1,E2 where E1 is an empty sequence really IS a no-op)

I think an extension function is the right approach, in as much as it clearly signals non-standard behaviour (and you get an error on a processor that does not recognize it, which is important - the last thing you want is silent errors - i.e. incorrect output).
An approach like comments suffers badly in this respect.
But...

But it feels a bit like an abuse.

It depends what the semantics of the extension function.
If they are defined as adding namespaces to the static context, then I think this would be a violation of the XPATH language, because the static context is no longer static (its contents changes during evaluation of the language).

But if the purpose is purely to provide bindings that are only operative when evaluating attributes of type xs:QName, then I think it should be possible to provide a compliant definition (it would have to be worded carefully, because of the fact that in A,B there is no guarentee that A is actually evaluated before B, but this can be done).

Remind me of a scenario, please.