xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Removing namespaces without escaping CDATA???

2007-04-09 11:38:00
At 2007-04-09 23:57 +0530, Mukul Gandhi wrote:
I suggested an improvement to the xsl:element instruction, with
<xsl:element name="qname" cdata-section="yes | no" .. As Mike said,
this is architecturally bad from XSLT processor design point of view
(but is it that bad?). But it seems to be an useful feature from end
user's point of view.

While I haven't implemented an engine myself, I can imagine it would be architecturally very disruptive since you are conflating syntax with structure for this instruction. Right now the <xsl:element> instruction and all of its attributes construct result nodes in the result tree, while saying nothing about serialization syntax. Adding your suggested change would be introducing syntactic awareness to the construction of the result tree for this instruction.

I acknowledge this is happening with the <xsl:text> instruction and d-o-e, but I don't know of any other result tree construction instruction that impacts on serialization.

I hope this helps.

G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman(_at_)CraneSoftwrights(_dot_)com
Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc