xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XSLT Text Processing: Fun with Anagrams

2007-04-22 18:21:02
Dimitre and everyone,

It's going to take me longer to understand parts of the anagram
solution because I've just begun learning version 2.0, but your
solution definitely shows that XSLT/XPath is capable of being applied
to much wider variety of problem domains besides transforming XML to
(X)HTML. The anagram solution definitely inspires one to explore more
of XSLT.

I primarily used version 1.0 of XSLT/XPath for just transforming XML
to (X)HTML, but now with version 2.0 there seem to be so many more
possiblities. I'm sure they were possible with version 1.0 as well.

I am also simultaneously going through the example of counting word
frequencies which is in the XSLT 2.0 reference book by Michael Kay-
and it was a very interesting exercise, that shows one of the
applications of XSLT. It is also mentioned in the book that the same
solution in XSLT 1.0 took about 60 lines of code, where as with XSLT
2.0 it takes about 5 lines of code. That is a significant achievement.

~~~~

Thank you everyone for providing/ making suggestions on XML/ XSLT
syntax highligthing tools.

Sorry I wasn't very clear about the purpose of the XSLT syntax
highlighter tool, the purpose is mainly to present code on an HTML web
page.

The formatting shown here:
http://utfx-doc.sourceforge.net/manual.html#sect2 looks good, also its
nice to have a Unit Testing framework for XSLT. I'm familiar with
JUnit, thank you for the unit testing tool for XSLT.

there is Saxon extension XSLTHL (http://sourceforge.net/projects/xslthl)
looks interesting, I haven't tried docbook, but I will keep it in mind.

Yesterday, I also came accorss a plug-in called Code2HTML within the
jEdit editor (which supports about 130 programming lanugages),
basically it HTMLizes any code in the editor. I tired it and it works
well on XSLT/XML also -- in addition to highligting the syntax it also
generates a left margin with line numbers -- all in HTML.

I think Code2HTML a nice tool to present code in one programming
language on the same web page. The challenge arises when presenting
code from a collection of different programming languages because, a
CSS file is generated and the class of the syntax highlighting code
can conflict between languages. One solution may be to use an iFrame
to display snippets from different languages. But anyway, this
discussion on multiple programming languages is out of the scope of
this list :-)  -- I normally write solutions in a few languages Java,
HTML, XSLT/XPath, SQL etc.

-Regards
Rashmi