xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Output to a file...and line feeds...

2007-07-23 12:32:43
<xsl:output method="text"> defines the serialization format - text rather
than XML or HTML. The output destination - the place where the serialized
text is written - depends on the interface you are using to invoke your XSLT
processor, and varies from one processor to another.

Microsoft's "XML Notepad" does not support XSLT 2.0. There are currently
three XSLT 2.0 processors available, my own Saxon product, Altova's XSLT
product, and Colin Adams Gestalt processor (which isn't yet complete).

If you're using Saxon, and writing a single output file, and running it from
the command line, then you can use the -o option to direct the output to a
file, or just redirect standard output. If you're using it via a GUI such as
Kernow, you just click the right buttons.

The information about xsl:result-document was a bit of a red-herring. It's
only needed if you want to write several output files.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: Naschke, Pete [mailto:NaschkePS(_at_)Pella(_dot_)com]
Sent: 23 July 2007 19:27
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [xsl] Output to a file...and line feeds...

I verified that my XSLT file does have the <xsl:output
method="text" /> line...but when does the program ask for a
filename to save the data file to??

Here's my XSLT file...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
  <xsl:output method="text" />
  <xsl:template match="/">
    <xsl:apply-templates
select="windowgroup/windowgroupings/windowgrouping" />
  </xsl:template>
  <xsl:template match="windowgrouping">
    <xsl:value-of select="shortdescription/@Value" />
    <xsl:text></xsl:text>
    <xsl:value-of select="longdescription/@Value"></xsl:value-of>
    <xsl:text></xsl:text>
    <xsl:value-of select="longdescription/@Value"></xsl:value-of>
    <xsl:text></xsl:text>
  </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

How do I use, where do I find XSLT 2.0? I am using the
Microsoft program XML Notepad...does it somehow allow the
user to select XSLT 1.0 or XSLT 2.0??

I think if I get this file output problem figured out, I'll
be able to do more effective program development.