xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XSLamenT

2007-07-31 09:09:35
On 7/31/07, Justin Johansson <procode(_at_)tpg(_dot_)com(_dot_)au> wrote:
G'day all,

It was not so long ago that one well-known participant of this list lamented:

"There is nothing so powerful in FXSL and it implements some most basic
concepts.

Concepts like: fold, map, compose, repeat/iterate   -- form the alphabet of
programming.

Certainly, if someone has arrived at grade 5 in school and still doesn't
know the alphabet,
this person will find reading even ordinary text rather "daunting".

To summarize, FXSL provides a big potential to learn, requires learning,
and this is even
a bigger value than simply the provided functionality."

This is not lamenting -- just stating a fact.

it does seem to me that somehow the XSLT meme* is not
replicating
as we would all hope for in the minds of the wider I.T. community.

Is the XSLT community somehow just wanting to keep this good oil to itself,
or is it
failing to articulate the paradigm in common language?

Most new and advanced technologies need many years before wide
acceptanced and used well
(see for example:
   http://www.embedded.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201200461
)

In this respect FP and XSLT are no exceptions.

I have witnessed some increased interest to FXSL in the past year, but
this is probably still too early of reaching critical mass.

--
Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev