xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Optimizing XSLT iteration

2007-10-07 22:59:04

When I run XSLT profiler,

I don't know what XSLT profiler you are referring to. The Saxon profiling
tool only tells you how much time is spent in each template, which is not
very useful here as everything is in one template. Generally, finer
resolution than this is not necessarily helpful because XSLT processors do a
lot of lazy evaluation, which means costs are not always incurred at the
point where the costly expression is written.

Please do let me know the tools you are using.

Nothing elaborate, I just set -Xrunhprof:cpu=samples on the command line and
looked at the resulting java.prof.txt file, which immediately revealed (to
someone who knows the Saxon internals, at any rate) that at least 90% of the
time is spent evaluating xsl:number.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/