xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Optimizing XSLT iteration

2007-10-07 19:03:39
Thanks for sending your sample data (offlist).

I've fixed various errors in your source file to make it well-formed.
Running the transformation 100 times in Saxon I get

*** Average execution time over 100 runs: 26ms

which seems entirely reasonable.

It's dangerous to scale up from something quite so small, but 38Kb in 26ms
scales up to 76Mb in 52s if the performance is linear, and I can't really
see why it shouldn't be. The processing in this stylesheet is a bit more
complex than the previously posted sample (includes string-to-number
conversion and arithmetic) but it looks linear.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Kay [mailto:mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com]
Sent: 08 October 2007 01:49
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [xsl] Optimizing XSLT iteration

I just tried Saxon parser after increasing the initial/max
Java heap
space to 512M and it worked with even a 74MB file, but took
about 28
minutes to finish.

That does seem quite high, given that Saxon can do an
identity transform on a file of that size in something close
to 28 seconds. I wonder if there is some other problem in
your code (are there parts you haven't shown us?). Is the
performance linear with document size?

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

--~--