xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Is there a tool for auto-generating XSLT scripts for converting XML docs -> HTML ?

2007-12-29 13:32:36

--- Abel Braaksma <abel(_dot_)online(_at_)xs4all(_dot_)nl> schrieb:

Ben Stover wrote:
Assume I have a "normal" XML docs. I want to
display the content of this XML doc on a HTML page
well formatted in tables, columns, rows and with
headers.

I'd be very interested in seeing a "normal" XML
document. XML being a
meta language, there does not exist such a thing as
a normal XML
document, let alone a document that would natively
translate into neat
tables, columns and the like (note that XML is by
nature hierarchical,
which rules out the common table layout for most XML
documents).

I could start now to write an appropriate XSLT
script from scratch.

That's what most people do, because the XSLT is
designed for that.

But I could imagine that there is a tool which
does such a job (=XSLT script/stylesheet writing)
for me. I want to use this generated XSLT
stylesheet later as skeleton/base for possible
refinements.

There are tools that map XML data to layout (which
may be HTML). Such
tools are Altova XML Spy (or Map or what's it
called), StyleVision, I
believe, complex tools like StreamServe and Doc1, I
also believe BizTalk
has a way of displaying its XML logic graphically
(but not sure it will
be HTML). And so on and so on. The best tools are
probably currently MS
Word and Open Office, both have recent versions that
fully read/write
XML (but, as with any of these, that's there "own"
format of XML). Both
Word and Open Office can create HTML from their
sources.

As I first step I only want to avoid writing the
dumb "main" stuff again and again.

That's why people create libraries and link them
together. Luckily, with
XSLT, you do not need so much of these "dumb main
stuff", as most is
already there before you even start. For ready made
templates and the
like for repetitive jobs, consider FXSL or that
other framework (sorry,
forgot the name), and the templates available in
books like XSLT Cookbook.

Is there such a tool ?

See above.

Cheers & happy New Year,