xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Is there a tool for auto-generating XSLT scripts for converting XML docs -> HTML ?

2007-12-30 23:53:56
Anyone tried XSLTGen?
http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~jbailey/xsltgen/XSLTGen.htm

Regards,
Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Abel Braaksma [mailto:abel(_dot_)online(_at_)xs4all(_dot_)nl]
Sent: zaterdag 29 december 2007 15:24
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [xsl] Is there a tool for auto-generating XSLT
scripts for converting XML docs -> HTML ?

Ben Stover wrote:
Assume I have a "normal" XML docs. I want to display the content of
this XML doc on a HTML page well formatted in tables,
columns, rows and with headers.

I'd be very interested in seeing a "normal" XML document. XML
being a meta language, there does not exist such a thing as a
normal XML document, let alone a document that would natively
translate into neat tables, columns and the like (note that
XML is by nature hierarchical, which rules out the common
table layout for most XML documents).

I could start now to write an appropriate XSLT script from scratch.

That's what most people do, because the XSLT is designed for that.

But I could imagine that there is a tool which does such a
job (=XSLT
script/stylesheet writing) for me. I want to use this
generated XSLT stylesheet later as skeleton/base for possible
refinements.

There are tools that map XML data to layout (which may be
HTML). Such tools are Altova XML Spy (or Map or what's it
called), StyleVision, I believe, complex tools like
StreamServe and Doc1, I also believe BizTalk has a way of
displaying its XML logic graphically (but not sure it will be
HTML). And so on and so on. The best tools are probably
currently MS Word and Open Office, both have recent versions
that fully read/write XML (but, as with any of these, that's
there "own" format of XML). Both Word and Open Office can
create HTML from their sources.

As I first step I only want to avoid writing the dumb "main"
stuff again and again.

That's why people create libraries and link them together.
Luckily, with XSLT, you do not need so much of these "dumb
main stuff", as most is already there before you even start.
For ready made templates and the like for repetitive jobs,
consider FXSL or that other framework (sorry, forgot the
name), and the templates available in books like XSLT Cookbook.

Is there such a tool ?

See above.

Cheers & happy New Year,

-- Abel Braaksma