xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Diagramming XSLT

2008-04-09 08:16:50
Thanks everyone for your ideas and advice.  Definitely a lot to think
about.

My task is to explain how one specific XSL-FO transform works with the
goal of modifying it to change its output.  As Wendell pointed out, a
huge challenge will be figuring out what level to engage the audience
at, and how to fit everything within my 45-minute time limit.  I just
won't have time to teach XSLT itself to people who aren't already
familiar, but if any of those wander in, maybe I can convince them to
learn.

I'll have to try the approach Jim wrote about in the future, even though
it doesn't really apply here.  I was definitely one of those people who
had trouble discarding their imperative-programming mindset when I was
learning XSLT.  I don't know if it's because imperative programming is
inherently easier to construct mental models of, or because it's just
what everyone is first exposed to.  It's certainly easier to diagram.
Now the declarative way of thinking is second nature for me (at least
until I try to do something very recursive, or diagram it, apparently).
Whenever I've taught XSLT the hardest part is getting people to escape
that imperative-programming mindset.  That always takes a while, and
until that "aha" moment, they can't really "get" XSLT.

I really like the Oxygen debugging mode idea.  I'm going to experiment
with that.  That, coupled with a big-picture flowchart  (root template
-> apply mode #1 templates and store nodeset in variable -> apply mode
#2 templates to variable, etc.) might do the trick.   My approach for
the talk itself is to spend my time on a general overview, showing what
is possible, and save the messier details and code samples for a
handout.  If I can point out a few lesser-known XSL techniques and get
people thinking, I've done my job.

If any of you are at PTC/User this June, you're welcome to come by my
talk ("Hacking the Styler XSL-FO Stylesheet") and see how well I succeed
or fail.

Thanks,

-James

-----