xsl-list

Re: [xsl] the future of xslt

2008-06-22 02:29:18
On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 10:21 PM, Dimitre Novatchev
<dnovatchev(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
I am not sure these statistics are useful at all.

I agree that presenting anything as 'statistics' is potentially
problematic, but these trends must be indicative of 'something' or
plain wrong.

I have my own indicators. One is that this mailing list became visibly
less interesting the moment Jeni Tennison ceased her active
participation.

come again ? does this indicate more or less interest in XSLT or
indicative of your interest in this particular posting ;)

Yet another indicator is the statement of Phill Wadler at the 2002
Oxford Summer School of Functional Programming that "XSLT is the most
popular functional programming language".

5 years ago, we had a lot less adoption of XSLT also depending on your
definition of a fp lang ... scheme does better (I would have thought
haskell would do better as well, though its probablly mispelled quite
a bit)

http://www.google.com/trends?q=xslt%2C+haskell%2C+lisp%2C+scheme&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

I also know a number of significant Web and content publishing
applications used on a daily basis and providing contents to millions
of viewers, that are very fundamentally XSLT-based. Probably the
people engaged with these are happy enough (do not have signifi
problems or are not at all aware of the XSLT nature of the services
they are consuming) so that they do not generate the noise that would
put XSLT ahead in the cited statistics.

yes and I have written a few of those in xslt ... I am questioning
google trends thought on the matter rather then try and say 'xslt is
not experiencing adoption'.

Let's try to formulate and answer another question:

Is/are there other, better than XSLT, tree-processing languages?

interesting question to ask, though on an xslt list I think everyone
will agree that its xslt.

reason why I presented these trends was to understand why google would
have declining trend for xslt ... doesn't seem to make any sense.

here is a somewhat related (but OT) example

http://www.google.com/trends?q=xml%2C+json&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

xml and json .... xml seems to have declining figures as well;
considering this I think the trends 'search volume index' needs a
little explaining.

pessimistically, I do not think we will ever see wide spread adoption
of XSLT, like lets say java....

http://www.google.com/trends?q=xslt%2C+java&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

I do have a 'point' ... I am trying to gather adhoc and statistically
relevant material on putting some % on the likeliness of any of the
following occurring;

* will XSLT 2.0 experience significant adoption ? what about xslt 2.0
in the browser ?
* XSLT on other devices e.g. hardware, mobile platforms
* will adoption flow from XSLT 1.0 to XSLT 2.0 or ... XSLT 1.0 to XQuery ?
* will we have XSLT 3.0

cheers, Jim