xsl-list

Re: [xsl] the future of xslt

2008-06-22 05:49:08
On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Colin Paul Adams
<colin(_at_)colina(_dot_)demon(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:
"James" == James Fuller
<james(_dot_)fuller(_dot_)2007(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> writes:

   James> I think if we had XSLT 2.0 in the browser then we would
   James> have XQuery for nearly free.

saxon doesn't implement 2 different processors for its XSLT 2.0 and
XQuery implementations ... I will leave details to MKay in this paper

http://www.idealliance.org/proceedings/xtech05/papers/02-03-01/

on the differences of XSLT 2.0 and XQuery

as an aside, eXist XMLDB people (in the form of a Google Summer of
Code project) is now embarking on an XSLT 2.0 implementationby
effectively putting an abstraction over its XQuery implementation.

I am not saying its not difficult, but if one goes through the trouble
of implementing XSLT 2.0 for the browser, you are going some way to
implementing XQuery as well, though I agree with Liam assertions about
XQuery 'sweet spot' being on the server side.

cheers, Jim