xsl-list

RE: [xsl] LINQ to XML versus XSLT

2008-06-27 08:48:53
From: Andrew Welch [mailto:andrew(_dot_)j(_dot_)welch(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2008 11:39 AM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [xsl] LINQ to XML versus XSLT

2008/6/27 Scott Trenda <Scott(_dot_)Trenda(_at_)oati(_dot_)net>:
I mean a language, to be used on the server side on web servers, that
can talk to the database, the file system, and other protocols, and
dynamically assemble an HTML or XML view of a requested page to be
delivered to the client.

That sounds like the "server side standalone transforms" idea I was
banging on about a few weeks ago...

Basically the user navigates to say /helloworld.xslt, the serverside
processor executes the XSLT 2.0 by using the predefined initial
template "main", the stylesheet pulls in any needed input files itself
using doc() and unparsed-text() (or perhaps in the future works
natively with the xml db) and then constructs the resultant XHTML.

All very straightforward, all it needs is a standard name for the
initial template, an app-server vendor to add support for it (no
effort) and a suitable buzzword for the "framework".

Actually, this can be easily implemented as a simple servlet or filter in
Tomcat and is something that we have done for several projects.  Although, we
allowed the request to /helloworld.html then grabbed the XML from the data
store and applied the XML to HTML transform.  They could also request
/helloworld.json and instead the XML to JSON transform was applied.

Andy.