xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Copy results

2008-07-08 14:22:50
On 7/8/08 4:04 PM, "Steven Ericsson-Zenith" <steven(_at_)semeiosis(_dot_)org>
wrote:

That is sad but I guessed as much from my own experience with
publishers. We should fix that don't you think? :-)

Fixing just that business process is one of the primary services Really
Strategies provides....

But it is seriously non-trivial to implement sophisticated, XML-based
production processes for trade publications, both because of centuries-old
entrenched processes and biases, and because of the realities of the need
for both very high quality typography and the need to be able to make
content changes up to and after the point that plates are on the presses
(picture an ink-stained person with an X-Acto knife correcting a typo....).
The technology can do it, and it's not that hard to implement, but the human
factors can make actually doing it very difficult.

The bright light is that technology is finally catching up to requirements,
making it much more practical and affordable to marry the best of
markup-based processes and modern computer-based typography.

And the increasing pressure on publishers to reduce costs and react more
quickly to rapidly-changing delivery technology and consumption patterns
means that the economic drivers for these changes are more and more swinging
in favor of automation, sometimes at the cost of typographic perfection or
centuries-old practices....

Cheers,

Eliot
----
Eliot Kimber | Senior Solutions Architect | Really Strategies, Inc.
email:  ekimber(_at_)reallysi(_dot_)com <mailto:ekimber(_at_)reallysi(_dot_)com>
office: 610.631.6770 | cell: 512.554.9368
2570 Boulevard of the Generals | Suite 213 | Audubon, PA 19403
www.reallysi.com <http://www.reallysi.com>  | http://blog.reallysi.com
<http://blog.reallysi.com> | www.rsuitecms.com <http://www.rsuitecms.com>