xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Copy results

2008-07-08 13:00:45

On Jul 8, 2008, at 12:19 PM, Wendell Piez wrote:

... depending on where you're going, you might have a concern about tomorrow as well as today.

In my experience designing languages the engineerings that end up using it do all kinds of thing the designers never anticipated.

I asked the question because I care about tomorrow.

It is also my experience that language designers (I know, I am one) use "should" language way too much.

In fact, I was after rather more specific information; unrelated to any opinion about what I "should" be doing. I essentially asked for the optimal way to place result-document output in two locations. So far, I have been offered no quantified reason for doing what I propose that actually would impact scaling or robustness.

However, I can think of one or two possible issues. XSLT garbage collection, for example, may not - for reasons I may be unaware of - be unhappy. I'd expect it to be fine, but it seems reasonable to ask. There may be error handling issues that people have encountered processing a number of collections. Again, it seems reasonable to ask.

In general, all my XSLT is server side and is not generating "dynamic pages" so I do not expect to have either scaling or robustness issues later. And while I do process file sets of some size, each set is constrained to a logical document. Imagine something that dealt Michael Kay's new book (which I am finding very helpful BTW - and would love to know just which tools were used to produce it).

With respect,
Steven

--
        Dr. Steven Ericsson-Zenith
        Institute for Advanced Science & Engineering