xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Content negotiation in XSLT

2008-07-14 08:19:26
From: Richard Light [mailto:richard(_at_)light(_dot_)demon(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk]
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2008 11:01 AM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] Content negotiation in XSLT

Can XSLT 2.0 do content negotiation?  Looking at the Linking Open Data
work, it seems to me that it would be useful if XSLT processors could
specify in the document() function that what they want is, for example,
application/rdf+xml.  Then they could be served the RDF version of a
Semantic Web resource, rather than the HTML "human-readable" version.

There are words in section 16.1 of the XSLT 2.0 spec about media types,
but it isn't clear to me that they extend to being able to specify
which
media type you want.  I would be delighted to be put right on this one.

You can always create an HTTP URI to a proxy service that takes the target URI
and media type and constructs an appropriate Accept header to the original URI.
 For example:

target URI: http://example.org/resource
proxy  URI:
http://example.org/proxy?uri=http://example.org/resource&media=application/rdf+xml

You would then use the proxy URI in the document function.

Andy.