xsl-list

[xsl] Re: Benefits of xsl.sequence

2008-09-30 02:56:19
I understand the benefits of sequences in XSLT 2.0 when they work like
arrays, and I understand the difference between xsl:value-of creating
a text node and xsl:sequence creating atom values. But do we have good
examples proving that the last in many situations like in xsl:function
is much more efficient or have other benefits?

Whenever you think of xsl:function (or xsl:sequence) as source of intermediate result, that you won't output in the tree immediately, you notice that xsl:sequence is more efficient:

<xsl:function name="t:add" as="xs:integer">
 <xsl:param name="first" as="xs:integer"/>
 <xsl:param name="second" as="xs:integer"/>

 <xsl:sequence select="$first + $second"/>
</xsl:function/>

<xsl:for-each select="1 to t:add($first, $second)">
</xsl:for-each>

--
Vladimir Nesterovsky
http://www.nesterovsky-bros.com