xsl-list

[xsl] Re: Benefits of xsl.sequence

2008-09-30 03:56:21
Whenever you think of xsl:function (or xsl:sequence) as source of
intermediate result,
that you won't output in the tree immediately, you notice that xsl:sequence
is more efficient:

<xsl:function name="t:add" as="xs:integer">
 <xsl:param name="first" as="xs:integer"/>
 <xsl:param name="second" as="xs:integer"/>
 <xsl:sequence select="$first + $second"/>
</xsl:function/>

Why is  <xsl:sequence select="$first + $second"/> more efficient than
<xsl:value-of select="$first + $second"/>?

I can understand that math on atomic values ought to be more efficient
than math on text nodes,

Yes, and there reason is in additional data conversions.

but is the benefits something we can measure
in any meaningful sense?

It's very possible that this particular sample wouldn't manifest any benefits, as
a processor may optimize it, however in a more complicated case an advantage
can be measured: it's an execution time.
--
Vladimir Nesterovsky
http://www.nesterovsky-bros.com