xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Re: Benefits of xsl.sequence

2008-09-30 04:18:10
<xsl:function name="t:add" as="xs:integer">

[snip]

Why is  <xsl:sequence select="$first + $second"/> more efficient than
<xsl:value-of select="$first + $second"/>?

It's more efficient because no atomization needs to happen: you've
specified a return type of xs:integer, so the text node created by
xsl:value-of needs to be converted to an xs:integer before its can be
returned.  Using xsl:sequence creates just the atomic value.

I can understand that math on atomic values ought to be more efficient
than math on text nodes, but is the benefits something we can measure
in any meaningful sense?

You could try writing a Soduku solver where the input and intermediate
steps are represented using nodes, realise how slow it is, then switch
to using atomics and see the improvement :)

http://andrewjwelch.com/code/xslt/sudoku/sudoku-solver.html

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com