xsl-list

Re: [xsl] zero width no-break space to prevent tag minimisation

2008-10-16 10:21:33
At 2008-10-16 15:12 +0100, Andrew Welch wrote:
Can anyone see any issues with using a "zero with no-break space" (the
BOM) as a way of preventing tag minimization:

It seems to work - any reason I shouldn't use that?  Using a breaking
(breakable?) zero width space (#8203) doesn't seem to prevent the
minimisation...

(the usual techniques of a comment or #160 can't be used in this
particular case)

Not sure what you mean by "minimization" in this case.

But I will comment on using such Unicode characters. In my UBL work I peppered my URI strings with zero-width (breaking) spaces in order to elegantly wrap lines immediately after slashes, keeping URI path components whole. Some users had not taken the time to add Unicode character display to their browsers (not sure if that is now automatic but at one point browsers didn't do all Unicode characters until you consciously installed Unicode support).

The result were unsightly empty box glyphs after every slash on their screens, while my screen looked pristine.

So before you use any Unicode character you should find out what the rendition looks like on a browser without Unicode character support.

I hope this helps.

--
Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on courses:      Wellington, NZ 2009-01
Video sample lesson:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrNjJCh7Ppg