xsl-list

Re: [xsl] zero width no-break space to prevent tag minimisation

2008-10-16 10:32:27
Not sure what you mean by "minimization" in this case.

syntax... I thought it was the right terminology?

But I will comment on using such Unicode characters.  In my UBL work I
peppered my URI strings with zero-width (breaking) spaces in order to
elegantly wrap lines immediately after slashes, keeping URI path components
whole.  Some users had not taken the time to add Unicode character display
to their browsers (not sure if that is now automatic but at one point
browsers didn't do all Unicode characters until you consciously installed
Unicode support).

The result were unsightly empty box glyphs after every slash on their
screens, while my screen looked pristine.

So before you use any Unicode character you should find out what the
rendition looks like on a browser without Unicode character support.

Good point... the "target browser" are XHTML based mobile phones...
but I would expect that if the browser can display XHTML then it must
support unicode?

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com